We took part in a Webinar hosted by Lumon (currency specialists), we answered 22 questions about buying a property in the French Alps, these questions had been put forward by our audience.
The panel members were:
Gareth Jefferies – French Property Expert at Alpine Property
Fiona Watts – Finance specialist at IPF
Dennelle Taylor Nizoux – Visa specialist at Renestance
Jonathan Watson – Currency Specialist at LUMON
The full video is available on the video posted below. However you can jump to a relevant question by clicking on the time-stamps below.
- 00:00 Introduction
- 07:29 Looking for a property at altitude, do you have any advice?
- 10:13 How easy is it to obtain a mortgage in France when self-employed?
- 11:59 How do I obtain a long term visa for France, without becoming tax resident?
- 15:08 What costs are added to the purchase price when buying in France?
- 16:20 Why should I use a currency broker over the high street banks?
- 19:19 Does a residency permit allow access to the EU schengen area over the current 90 and 180-day restrictions?
- 20:34 Can UK Nationals obtain French mortgages?
- 21:11 Can the French government help subsidise making your home more efficient?
- 24:31 Does buying a French property through a company change the financing arrangements?
- 26:21 Does France have a digital nomad visa?
- 28:16 Do I need to engage an architect for a barn renovation in France?
- 30:32 Can I get insurance that covers natural disasters when buying a property in the alps?
- 33:47 How is affordability for a mortgage calculated in France? How much deposit will I need?
- 36:42 How does a currency broker know the best time for clients to transfer their money?
- 40:06 When Fiona says finance costs should not be more than ⅓ of income, is this before or after tax?
- 41:02 Can you tell us where the new “up and coming” place is to invest in the Alps?
- 43:04 It is being reported in the UK that France is going to tax British second home owners. Can you tell us about this please?
- 46:05 If I have an Irish passport, can my husband and children (who do not) stay longer than 3 months?
- 47:21 Do purchase chains exist in France?
- 52:15 Can you give us an overview of the taxes involved when buying an investment property?
- 54:57 What is your view about global warming and less snow in the winter?
- 58:42 Do I need a visa if I am joining my family in France?